Sunday, June 23, 2013

I thought I would share with you and artist who I stumbled upon a few weeks ago and who's work instantly caught my eye.


Lisa Kokin's work is filled with an abundance of materials and textures. The pieces I am most drawn towards (which invariable are most similar to my work) are her works on and with found papers. I am in love with how the paper and books become objects in and of themselves, creating organic shapes that interact with each other and their environment.



She grew up with her parents working in the upholstery business, and her love and familiarity with textiles, thread, and sewing is continually apparent.



There is a wonderful video on her site (scroll to the bottom, on the right) where Lisa goes through a few of her pieces. Here is a quite which I find to be very true to how I work:
Be aware. Be open to paths in the road, divergent paths in the road. Maybe more interesting things will happen than what you planned. If you're open to it and accepting of it, then you'll be happier.


 I invite you all to check out her work. If you are lucky enough to live in the El Sobrante area just outside of Berkley, California, Lisa teaches workshops, six-week classes, and hosts critique sessions (although these are invite only). One thing I am excited to look into once I begin to create a new body of work is her coaching and mentor sessions she offers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer