Saturday, June 22, 2013

As I was catching up from the overnight world of social media, I saw a post from the North Carolina Museum of Art. I grew up with this museum, and have watched it undergo quite the update over the years. Two major changes have brought it to the level of other contemporary museums: its gorgeous new light filled building and the crisp, artistic new logo created by Pentagram. There is so much I could talk about concerning both NCMA and Pentagram, but I'll share with you my thread I followed today.


As I searched through Pentagram, I found a posting about their work with Cass Art London. Now, I've never heard of Cass Art London before, but having worked for three wonderful years as a part of Art Mart & Academy, I have a special place in my heart for all things art supplies, especially the retail store aspect. Part of what draws me to the retail setting is that it offers a unique opportunity to showcase beautiful items in an fresh, eye catching manner.

I was introduced to them through Pentagram's video discussing Cass' new graphic language that Pentagram partner Angus Hyland helped them create. With the help of Pentagram architect William Russell, their focus was not only on creating a new logo and marketing materials, but how the brand expressed itself within the retail environment as a whole. They continued this through their paint color reusable bags, which beautifully promote their brand and image without their logo needing to be front and center.


Another gorgeous aspect that was showcased in the film was the burned "charcoal" wall. The depth of the color and the rich texture create such a statement, both to the materials being sold as well as to the architectural atmosphere of the space. If I were to walk into the store, I know that one of my lasting memories would be this wall. Hands down.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer